Saturday 13 June 2009

Knitting in Public

It was World-Wide Knitting in Public day today. Actually it was one of World-Wide Knitting in Public days. It is on this weekend, and next Saturday & Sunday.

There was an event in Edinburgh. Supposed to be at the Scott Monument in Princes Street. I intended to drive half way, then either get the train or bus. There are massive road works in Princes Street, and I didn't fancy walking far as I would need to carry my bag, knitting and a chair:-). Although it was quite bright, there were some ominous-looking clouds.

I drove to Edinburgh Park train station - no parking right outside, but I could see a retail park on the other side of the railway. Slight problem in that, although it was about 100 yards away, I had to drive over a mile to get there. By the time I did that, and parked the car, I missed the train. Grrrrr.
So then I drove to the nearby by park 'n' ride (bus). I parked easily (it's in the title LOL), and went to wait on the bus. I was under shelter, wearing my sunglasses, and I went to check the times of the bus which involved leaving the shelter, to discover it had started raining heavily.

I called a guy who was at the Scott monument (probably less than three miles as the crow flies), and he said it was dry there. Nevertheless I knew it wouldn't be for long, so I decided to drive into the centre. I managed to park close to Double Dutch (the alternative venue should it have rained), and spent a pleasant afternoon knitting and eating.

It took me about 90 minutes to get to Double Dutch by the time I went via the train and bus stations, and only around 40 minute to get home.

I meant to take pictures, but I forgot.. Still there's always next weekend!

No comments: